Can I stay in the UK to work full time after finishing my course?

Foreign Students's picture

Currently, if you graduate from a UK institution with a degree or higher in any subject, you can stay on and work for one year in the UK. The International Graduates Scheme (IGS) should be applied for within one year of successfully obtaining your qualification. In Scotland, all students graduating from a HND, degree or postgraduate course from a Scottish institution can apply to work for two years after graduation, as part of the Fresh Talent Scotland Initiative.

There are also schemes which allow students to stay on in the UK for professional training or work experience, and some students may also be able to apply for positions as a highly skilled worker here.  

However, from April 2012 onwards, there are new rules on Post-Study Work Visas being introduced. They are as follows: 

  • The Post-Study Work Route that allows students free access to work in the UK for 2 years after they finish studying is being closed.
  • To stay and work, you must have a job offer from a sponsoring employer. This means that the firm has been registered with the government to accept overseas workers in the Tier-2 visa point system.
  • The job must be suitable for your skills and the starting salary must be a minimum of £20,000 a year.

You can find top graduate jobs and internships on the Inspiring Interns website.


I was under the impression that the IGS has been closed?