Do I have to be fluent in English to study in the UK?

Foreign Students's picture

Every study institution has its own requirements for the standard of English you must have. If it is not your first language, most institutions require you to prove your English language ability by taking an exam.

The two most common exams are the 'International English Language Testing System', or IELTS and the 'Test of English as a Foreign Language', or TOEFL. For the former, most universities require international students to have a score of between 6 and 7.5. For the latter, students can take a paper based test, which requires a score of 550-620 at most universities, or an internet based test which students need to get between 80 and 105.
If your English language levels are not up to this standard, then most universities will offer their own English language courses here in the UK, or you can choose one of your own at our Language Schools page.