When can I move to the UK and how long can I stay?

Foreign Students's picture

Once you have sent an application and it has been accepted then you will be able to move to the UK before your course starts. How soon you can move depends on the course you are taking. If you are taking a course that is longer than 6 months or is a pre-sessional course (for example an English language course before you start university) then you will be able to enter the UK up to 1 month before the start date. However, if your course is less than 6 months long then can only enter the UK up to 1 week before the start.

After your course has finished, if it was longer than 12 months then you can stay in the UK for a further 4 months with the same visa, a further 2 months if the course was 6-12 months long, and just one week if the course was less than 6 months long.