Do I need health insurance and how can I get it?

Foreign Students's picture

If you do not qualify for full NHS treatment, you will definitely need to get private medical insurance, as private health care can be very expensive. However, even if you qualify for NHS treatment, you may still prefer to get health insurance to avoid NHS waiting lists and get treatment faster. You may already be covered if you have medical insurance in your home country, so check with your provider to find out if you need extra cover.

For students in the UK, Endsleigh is probably the best insurance company. They offer great insurance specifically for students, and at a cheap price.

How can I make an appointment with an optician?

Foreign Students's picture

It is best to go to a high street shop like Boots, where you can make an appointment for an eye test without registering first.

The test will normally cost around £20 and the optician will either update your current prescription or prescribe you glasses or contact lenses if you need them. Find your closest NHS optician here.

How can I make an appointment with a dentist?

Foreign Students's picture

To make an appointment with a dentist, you first need to register with one. If you qualify for full NHS cover, then you can register with an NHS dentist, but only if you have registered with a doctor first. They still cost money, but are much cheaper than private dentists. To register with one, simply contact your closest dentist here.

What should I do in an emergency?

Foreign Students's picture

If you think you need an ambulance, then ring '999' (the UK emergency services number). If you can get to a hospital without the need for an ambulance, then find the closest hospital that has an A&E (Accident and Emergency) department here. Here they will assess how best to treat your injury or illness.

How do I register with a doctor?

Foreign Students's picture

You should register at your local health centre or doctor's surgery as soon as you arrive in the UK. Find the contact information of your closest one here. When you go to register, make sure you take your passport, student card and proof of your UK address.

Once you have registered with a GP (a name for doctors in the UK), then you can book appointments with them whenever you want, for free (so long as you are eligible for NHS cover).

Syndicate content